Education in the USA

Discussion dans 'English board' créé par Franc@Philly, 29 Décembre 2008.

1. Franc@Philly

Franc@Philly Visiteur

J'aime reçus:
    Hi,

Can anybody guide me how to get scholarship and how can i be elegible for financial aide ? :confused:

2. alexander

alexander Weld Azrou Membre du personnel

J'aime reçus:
    are you in morocco or in the USA now

3. Franc@Philly

Franc@Philly Visiteur

J'aime reçus:
    hi Alexander, i'm in USA now. May be you are the only one in here who could help more since u are here too and i read somewhere that you are at community college too.so could you please give some segetions and orientations. thanks brother

4. alexander

J'aime reçus:
    first of all, it depend on you immigration status.

in the case of you are a green card holder: to pay less, you need to be in state, which mean, that you were at least one year in same state you will study in. otherwise, you will have to pay as international student which is about 3 times more expensive.

you need to start by English, you will have to pass a test, if you are good enough you may avoid to take the English as second language (ESL). and start English for college. also there is a test in math, that you will have to take. as good as your results are, as much as you save time and money. in the other case, you will be forced to take additional classes in maths and English.

a community college is always the best place to start by, cause it's cheaper (2 to 3 times cheaper than 4 years college), but you need to be sure that you can transfer your classes later to a 4 years college!!!! they should help you out in your community college by telling you about their contracts with other institutions. some times your 2 years diploma will be fully accepted in X college and not in Y college. so also choose a field that you can complete in the 4 years college you are planing to join. and also avoid to take classes that the university will force you to retake (waste of money and time) for all this, go to your community college and ask many consular!!! and compare what they are saying.

another thing may save you money! transfer any classes you did in morocco. although it take time (that what is killing me now) it helps a lot. at least, try to avoid humanities classes (History, religion, languages...) by using your French knowledge. i was promised to save 16 credit thanks to my French once my transfer is done.

a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig advise: do not keep the transfer issue to the last minute! that was my worse mistake. i'm loosing so much time because i didn't do it earlier. it's frustrating.

a full time study is 12 to 15/18 credit per trimester. you pay per credit (every credit cost XXX $ depending on the college). normally a total of credits will be 60 to 70 a year.

to ask for financial aide you need to register for at least 9 credits. some classes may not be considered (such as ESL in my case). then fill a FASFA application. you will find it either in college or website (your same college website).

when you ask for the financial aide, they will check your income.

some companies such banks, pay for their employees' classes (entirely or partially). also good students may get scholarship offers.

5. Franc@Philly

Franc@Philly Visiteur

J'aime reçus:
    Thanks so much Alexander that was really interesting.i'm curious about your transcript case what was the problem ? For me i'm still waitting for the transcript from Morocco, and you know what ? the academy of eduction where i had got my high school diploma as an unofficial candidate last year and the A.T.S.I where i got my technician diploma in computer sciences they don't want to sign the sheet from WES that goes with the academic transcript,they accept after many attempts to submit just the accademic transcript, and now i'm going to try with my first high school from 1998.I hope that they won't ask me for official correspandence fom WES so as they could answer my demand as the previous ones did.these was the first problem i had meet.

Second problem was my financial aide i submitted the application on time .And since i'm here in US on 2007 i need to prove my icome thing that's impossible becuase i was here just for two days at that year.And now i don't how to deal with that ? the finacial administrator told me you have to pay for classes for your own ($ 882 + 35 ) for six credit or you can droop them until next year.

Alexander,i have more questions for you and i hope that you have more time and patiance to answer them all.Concerning my classes transfer how can my French knowledge help me to save 16 credit like in your case? And how can religion classes could be helpfull on the same way if i'm concedering a major in nursing for exemple? by the way what do you think about a nursing program do you think it's a good choice and do you think i could handle that ?

I was placed in high intermediat reading and writing and math 118; is there any idea how finacial aide works ?Is it good if i'm using it to pay for prerequisites classes?

6. alexander

J'aime reçus:
    the problem with transcripts comes always from morocco! in theory, the transcript should be ready withing a week, but our brother in morocco keep our files in archives then through it away in trash.

in fact you need to prove you income, other wise you will have to pay all, also try not to move from a state to another (you need to have one year in a state to pay cheaper). that's why i'm not gonna leave virginia for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, you W2 form should be in it's way. you try to rush on it and then apply to financial aide.

i had also to pay for my classes, and to this moment i didn't got help! for these reasons:
    - 1st: i waited to be in state.

- 2nd: i didn't had a proof for my income. so i paid

- 3rd, when i had an income proof, i found out that i can't do the financial aide cause i'm less than 24 years old. and i had to pay untill then!!!!!!!!!!!! (otherwise you need your parents signature, a proof of their income.... or you need to prove your independence from them, which is a legal case and even if you succeed only 20% of such demands will be accepted!!!!!!!

- 4rd: my income was a little higher than expected (although i did my best to lower it). i don't wanna a loan, so i didn't try. i will have to try again when i go to a 4 years college. since a community college is too cheap, it's not easy to get help for them. but i believe i'll have better option with the real college.

for your French, you may need to talk to the consular, you should know, that there something called "elective classes". it refers to classes that are not a part of your major (study field) but you have to take them (comme on dit chez nous, c est pour la culture general) by exemple, you study biology, but i'll have to take classes in history!!

it's these elective classes that you need to avoid using your French (for them, they will counted as if you studied French with them/ they will give you credit for it) they may ask you for proof or to take a test. in both case, you should be able to do it!

i said 16 credit, because my consular said so! i'm not sure, it's just an estimation from him. and as i say to my friends, if French isn't enough, i'll add Arabic <D and anything else to save my time and my money (i already lost 2 years, and wasted enough money).

nursing is a good major, you can be sure to have a job with it! there is no unemployment in that field. i have some friends doing that (not Moroccan). and yes, French can be then considered as elective class, as much as religion classes if you have proof for them, but i'm not sure if they will accept them. try in your college.

you should know and keep in mind few things. do not take your nursing diploma from a community college!! transfer early enough to get it from a 4 years college. when you ask for job, they will check the school you were graduated from, and you're not gonna look good with a community college diploma.

although, a 4 year college means more money, and more work. my friends who does it spend their whole week either working or studying not one minute relaxing. and they only work part time!!!! so also you gonna need in addition to the financial aide, a job that pay you enough to cover your bills with a minimum hours. nowadays, this is something hard, you know about the economic crisis?!

it's hard for me to know what's your level in English and maths. since that each an institution use a different nominations to refer to their classes. in my case, we say English as second language (ESL) and it has 5 levels. i had the level 5. then your done with this and you start studying with americans (English for college) i'm done with that to.

also, here, in virginia, they don't give financial aide for ESL, neither for less than 9 credits (you said your doing just 6, which is part time classes) i don't know what's going on in your state, laws are different for a state to another.

Now, i only wait for my transcript. the reason, is that i don't wanna pay for classes i don't need. and spend a semester killing myself with stupid classes. once my i get credits for my medical classes in morocco, and then for my French, i will meet again my consular to see what major will be the best choice for me and how can i take advantage, as much as possible, from my moroccan classes.

then i will transfer as soon as i can to the real college.

if you need anything, just ask.

7. Franc@Philly

Franc@Philly Visiteur

J'aime reçus:
    Thanks a lot for all the information we share together.I appreciate talking about these things in here, because a lot of poeple they don't know how to deal with that and they need some information or orientation and i hope our topic could be helpfull for new comers who want to go to college.

I was thinkig to move from Philadelphia/Pennsylvania to other state before, but since i knew that i decided to continue my education here and once i have my diploma if God will then i could move elsewhere.I was also thinking to get a job with my community college diploma and after a period i'll go for 4 years college but i'm gonna take your advice in serious.

It called ESL and it has 5 levels here too ,and then you have to take english 101 for college . I'm in level 3 and i have to take 2 levels to get to your level,so till that time could you be my teacher and correct my mistakes and keep on giving me some advice not only in education but in life here in this country since you are here before and may be for long time.

The problem i faced a lot with english is in listening and speaking.now i start to be familliar in someway with listening and i still have a problem in speaking.This point reminded me to the period when we were trying to speak our first arabic words.

I hope i would find a job that pay enough to cover my bills with minimum hours.This is every student's dream in here.And i don't like to waste my time in changing or experiencing a lot of jobs to find a suitable one.I was asking a lot about things like that when i first came in US ,but you know, sometimes you can't find the right people in your community who they could show you the right way to go trough;I was asking about wages,what are rewarding jobs, a place to live in shouldn't be so far from your work and your college too, but you know there is always difference in human's mind.

Thanks again Alexander,it was a nice time discussing with you and i hope good continuation in your studies and better future.

Partager cette page