English as the second language in Morocco

Discussion dans 'English board' créé par Redstar, 13 Août 2009.

1. Redstar

Redstar Visiteur

J'aime reçus:
    Hi everybody
    I think it's time to make a change by setting English as the seond language in Morocco.
    I wanna know ur point of view about this subject...
    thanks for giving us a space to express our ideas

2. alexander

alexander Weld Azrou Membre du personnel

J'aime reçus:
    No!

i prefer French remain the second language.

3. ScoRPinA

ScoRPinA Accro

J'aime reçus:
    why not [22h]

4. fax02

fax02 Stranger in the life Membre du personnel

J'aime reçus:
    i think the same than Alex

5. casawia94

casawia94 Sousou

J'aime reçus:
    Yeeeeeeeees why noooooooooooooot [22h]

Oh yeah [22h]

6. anasamati

anasamati Accro

J'aime reçus:
    I think russian would be better as a second language

7. Redstar

Redstar Visiteur

J'aime reçus:
    ok but what's ur arguments ?

8. fofok

fofok ?????

J'aime reçus:
    i see that after arabic as maternal language it should be the english after
    first english is an international language and known all over the world
    and it s easy to learn it doesn t require to much
    that s my opinion :D

9. alexander

J'aime reçus:
    changing a language is not a game.

the real administrative language in Morocco is French. not even Arabic.

the state had already tried a lot to give more place to Arabic during 50 years, and still French is dominant.

ask your parents, all schools starting by elementary were teaching in French. and every every thing except religious affairs were done in French. now it's different after a half century of efforts. and now you're asking us to spend even more time to introduce a new language to our messy administrations?

add to that, Morocco has two cultural sides in the international scene. French and Arabic (Amazighen is local/ north African) consequently in Africa as example, the french speaking countries are morocco's allies in Sahara affairs. But, those who use English are on the other side (Nigeria, Kenya, S.Africa...). so the cultural side can't be ignored, it's a fact that being closer to French speakers affect our diplomatic relationships. and leaving it may cause many troubles.

there is other reasons too. but let's stop here.

1 personne aime cela.
  10. Redstar

Redstar Visiteur

J'aime reçus:
    I'm not trying to introduce a new language, i'm just trying to correct a weird situation...
    Even French are learning English so it's really weird to keep french as a second language.
    It's so important to know that the only beneficiary from this situation is France not Morocco...it keeps us in its sphere of domination and makes us dependent of itself...
    English will allow us to expand our horizons and get new allies in the international scene.

11. alexander

J'aime reçus:
    so rather than being dependent on France we will be dependent on USA.

we don't need that. we are already. hehe.

i rather be independent.

12. roubaaa

roubaaa Visiteur

J'aime reçus:
    Hello!

I think "Alexander" is right , making of english a second language in Morocco will create a real mess in everything, whether in politics, education, administration.... because people got used to french more than any other language. However, it is so important to teach english @ primary, secondary, high schools and even colleges & universities, as it is becoming more & more required in the market especially with the growing number of MNCs in our country !

English should be taught in Morocco, rather than being the second language, this is it!

13. Zailashi

Zailashi Visiteur

J'aime reçus:
    I totally agree!! I hate French :p

btw, I can't understand why so many Moroccans like French, in the end it's the occupier's language :rolleyes:

14. alexander

J'aime reçus:
    hard to explain, may be they succeed in changing our minds.

but now it's a fact and part of us. deep in our administration. we tried to change and it costs us 50 years and still we are depending. i refuse to change a french dependency with another one no matter what is it.

if we have to change something again it have to be by giving more place to our real identity.

Otherwise, we re fine like that. Moroccans speak enough languages. and many of youth understand French and English good enough to pursue their life and learning anywhere in the Globe.

15. ptit_h

ptit_h Accro

J'aime reçus:
    i prefer to remain french as 2nd langague. as said by alex it will take a lot of time and more effort to switch all language depending things alreday set in french long time ago (studies, book, admin procedures, etc). may be we should focus on how to learn efficiently english during study and incite moroccans to read english books and so on

1 personne aime cela.
  16. Zailashi

Zailashi Visiteur

J'aime reçus:
    At least it would be a change we made by choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should use English the way we use French now. Administration and all other official stuff should be in Arabic, but English should be more widespread, like they do it in scandinavian countries and the Netherlands :D

17. alexander

J'aime reçus:
    well, when we succeed first to show more respect to our languages (arabic isn't the only one, Amazighen too). then let's think about a 2nd language that will be just additional for international use as English for Scandinavians.

it's not the case for us now. switching French and English will be just switching dependency will more damage than we have now.

18. Casawia

Casawia A & S Forever

J'aime reçus:
    How can we change a whole country's culture to another one?

I really think it's impossible to do so.

Moroccan people are used to hear 2 foreign languages: French & Spanish.

English was only known at schools, secondary and universities, and now with multinationals investing in our country, more & more English speakers are required.

On the other hand, if we think about the Moroccan administration which is mainly done in Arabic and then French, I don't think that individuals working there will adapt to learn this language. a simple example, in some mo9ata3at in Casablanca, they introduced a computer system to help them store people's information... I remember once when being there nobody was using it and even if you find someone who can do the effort...he is really finding hard.

It's hard to change the culture....we have to also consider the high percentage of analphabetical people in Morocco....If they can't even read Arabic/French...will they be able to do so with English?

Partager cette page